Keeping Troop Documentation
Troops usually need some kind of documentation of accomplishments and endeavors. A written documentation can be used or computer documentation.
Benefits of Newsletters
A newsletter comes in handy for leaders and parents. Newsletters are also a fun way of enhancing your child’s communicative ability when they are given the option to help create it.
Developing Communication Skills
By producing an informative and accurate newsletter, the young Girl Scout can pick up on important communication skills that come in handy in life. The Scout leader or one of the parents can hold the role of a publisher as a service to the troop.
Here are some tips for creating a newsletter:
- Find a template that is appropriate for the newsletter. If your computer has word processing software then this is an easy option for you. Word processors like Microsoft Word usually have various templates for various formats and newsletter formatting is one of them. If that is not helpful, you can check online for other free templates to use.
- Take time to gather the necessary information from the Scout leader, the parents, volunteers and the Girl Scouts themselves. It is important to gather as much needed information as possible then decide what should go into the newsletter later.
- While gathering the information, have a list of who gave you info so that it will not be hard to track them in case of the need for a follow up question later.
- While publishing, include the information about the purpose of Girl Scouting while praising the program for empowering the girls. Add the troops number, motto, where the meetings are held along with phone number of the publisher in the newsletter.
- Other items you can include are the scout emblem, information about upcoming meetings, events and pictures. The pictures may be of events and meetings; they should be of variety so that you can pick some candid pictures along with posed pictures.
Does your troop create and distribute a Girl Scout newsletter? What are some of the items you include in the news? Please leave a comment! We would love to hear from you!